Australian Tax File Number Explained (Backpacker's Guide)

Australian Tax File Number Explained - Backpacker's Guide

If you want to work while you are backpacking in Australia you're going to need a Tax File Number. So what the hell is a Tax File Number?

A Tax File Number (T.F.N) is a unique tax number which is issued by the Australian Tax Office to people who wish to work in Australia. It's only issued once for the duration of your life time and will be used to keep your tax records while you work.

As a backpacker, the tax rate you pay will vary depending on your status with the Australian Government and the amount you earn. For example, if you don't have a T.F.N you will be charged the emergency tax rate which is around 48.5% (obviously quite high) compared to the usual being 25% (or at least between 15% to 30%).

The good thing for people on a Temporary Working visa (i.e, working holiday) is that you can make a claim for all of the tax you have paid when you leave the country. So depending how much you've earned throughout you're time in Australia, it could be quite a lot of money.

Be sure to keep a record of your work activities (employers, payments, dates etc...) to aid your claim when it's time to collect. A years worth of tax is potentially a lot of money and would be better off in your own pocket (not theirs).
Trending Articles!!!

The Backpacker's Budget (Cost Of living In Australia)

Budgeting for backpacking in Australia is all about getting the most out of your trip with the funds you have available. In this article we outline how to budget for backpacking around Australia including getting up to date prices for accommodation, transport, essential shopping items and day-to-day living expenses so you can budget your trip with confidence before you go.

Read more Articles about Employment & Working while Backpacking around Australia!!!

Employment In Australia Finding Work (Backpackers Guide)

If you're on a working holiday visa, finding work while backpacking around Australia is going to help you live comfortably and enjoy all the things you want to do. Even before you go to Australia, there's quite a lot of preparation you can do to maximise your chances of getting work quickly when you arrive and earning a fairly continuous cash flow when you need it.

Superannuation Funds Explained for Backpackers in Australia

To start working in Australia you will need to nominate a company to hold your superannuation. As far as a backpacker visiting Australia is concerned, a superannuation fund is like a savings account you can claim back when you leave Australia. Learn everything you need to know about superannuation for backpackers in Australia.

Recruitment Agencies In Australia (Finding Work Fast)

One of the best ways to get work while backpacking in Australia is using the recruitment agencies. A recruitment agency is a company that specialises in finding jobs for backpackers in Australia either on a permanent or temporary basis. There are loads of recruitment agencies that can help you get work all over Australia.

Training Courses for Employment in Australia

When you're backpacking around Australia you will find that some jobs require you to attend a basic training course before you can start work. Training courses are usually quite short and are meant to give you the necessary qualifications/certificates needed to start work. Learn which courses you will need to start working in Australia.